• Receives invoices, Case Actions, and other requests for payment for Assistance, Purchase of Services, Administrative and CSA transactions; ensures proper procedures to authorize payment have been completed; reviews documentation to ensure payments are posted to the correct accounts; processes vouchers for checks to be cut by the County Finance Department, City of Salem Finance Department and the Department of Social Services; prints warrant registers and checks for Assistance and Purchase of Services payments; exports the check file for Assistance and Purchase of Services and sends to the Treasurer's Office, Finance Department and IT; organizes and maintains documentation relevant to departmental expenditures.
• Enters purchasing card and administrative transactions in Thomas Brothers software; exports Assistance, Purchase of Services and Administrative transaction files and uploads them into LASER by the monthly deadline; prepares and uploads the Child Care ASCII file by the monthly deadline.
• Performs purchasing/procurement duties for the department in accordance with County policies and procedures, receiving said items and authorizing payment to the vendor(s).
• Prepares/prints and distributes various reports, on a monthly basis or as needed.
• Interacts with the County Finance Department and outside vendors as necessary.
• Mails child care Purchase Orders to vendors; tracks the return of the Purchase Orders and follows-up to ensure all Purchase Orders have been returned in accordance with state requirements; enters child care payment adjustments into VaCMS.
• Responsible for a variety of correspondences.
• Issues EBT cards and maintains required documentation in accordance with state and federal requirements; maintains the inventory of EBT cards and required documentation; prepares monthly inventory reports.
• Tracks the deposit of all money flowing through the department to the Treasurer's Office and prepares the weekly Collection Report; records payments from the Collection Report in Thomas Brothers or the appropriate spreadsheet.
• Organizes and transmits employee time sheets to the County Payroll office.
• At year end, prepares the 1099 file to be sent to the Finance Department; identifies and processes FICA refunds; processes, prints and mails W-2s for certain departmental vendors.
• Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with employees, vendors, customers, and the general public.
• Conducts special projects as required.
• Provides back-up for the front desk and switchboard, as needed.
• Fosters a team environment through daily work habits and a positive attitude.
Required: Graduation from high school, supplemented by business school or college level courses in bookkeeping, accounting, or a related field; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Preferred: Associates degree in Accounting or related field
Required: One (1) year experience in accounting, business or relevant administrative duties.
Preferred: Three (3) or more years of experience in accounting, business or relevant administrative duties.
Required: Valid Virginia driver's license with good driving record.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Working knowledge of accounting principles and the governmental accounting process.
- Ability to understand and apply laws, regulations and policies relating to the departmental financial process.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment, discretion and initiative in completing assignments and in dealing with other employees, customers and vendors.
- Strong computer (Word, Excel, etc.) skills.
- Ability to plan, schedule and coordinate financial tracking and reporting systems to ensure financial stability and success.
- Ability to develop and maintain effective working relationships with employees, customers and vendors.
- Ability to effectively communicate both verbally and in writing with a wide variety of staff and customers.
- Ability to multi?task, handling a high volume of business demands and service requests received each day.
- Ability to have a realistic view of time needed to accomplish assignments and projects and plan accordingly.
- Ability to prepare clear, concise financial and administrative reports.
Subject to a complete criminal history and Child Protective Services background search with acceptable results. Must be able to perform the job as described in the Physical and Environmental Demands section of this job description.