The Pittsfield Public Schools educate approximately 5000 students Pre-K through age 22. The Pittsfield Public Schools is a small urban school district located in the heart of the Berkshires in western Massachusetts. PPS is committed to culturally responsive practices and dedicated to providing a rigorous and engaging learning environment for all students.
Pittsfield High School is one of two high schools in the district serving just over 600 students in grades nine through twelve. We celebrate our diverse community of learners including 15% Hispanic, 10% African American and 7% multi-race students. Additionally, we have 4.5% ELL students and 64% of our students are high needs. We are seeking a dynamic leader who will cultivate a brave and supportive learning environment where all students will achieve academic success.
PHS is looking for an adaptive and innovative educator to close the opportunity gap, empower educators and maximize learning for all students. Ideal applicants will have a proven track record in instructional leadership resulting in strong academic gains. Additionally, successful candidates will have demonstrated experience in diversity, equity and inclusion practices including fostering a data driven culturally responsive classroom culture, the use of restorative practices, and developing a foundation for caregiver and community engagement that brings all voices to the table.
Qualifications/Skills/Abilities of the Ideal Candidate Include:
- Instructional experience in an urban/diverse school setting
- Knowledge and experience with culturally responsive teaching
- Collaborative leadership with a transparent and inclusive style that supports the growth and development of a broad range of educators
- Effective use of technology in instruction and communication
- Experience in the recruitment of a diverse staff
- Effective use of coaching and evaluation of school personnel with direct impact on student outcomes
- Outstanding communication skills with caregivers and community stakeholders
- Willingness to build partnerships with community organizations
- Commitment to high academic achievement and social-emotional development of all students
- Experience with multiple approaches to address student behaviors and instructional practices that empower students, such as restorative practices, students centered learning, etc.
- Ability to inspire and hold staff accountable for student growth, performance and culturally responsive practices
- Participates in and seeks out professional growth opportunities and engages with colleagues in supporting the mission and vision of the Pittsfield Public Schools
- Reviewing and assessing budget requests from staff members and the School Council, preparing the school's annual budget, and arranging for disbursements from budget allowances
- Constructing the schedule of classes, classifying and assigning students, and assigning teachers to classes
- Assigning specific duties to paraprofessionals, substitutes, and volunteers
- Arranging appropriate supervision for non classroom activities before, during, and after school, at recess, lunch and boarding buses at dismissal
- Making arrangements for assemblies, orientation programs, student meetings, graduation, open house, caregiver conferences, and other events
- Monitoring the evaluation of the school's educational program and participating in the revision thereof as indicated
- Encouraging the piloting of new curriculum projects, developments, and materials
- Evaluating the performance of teachers, as specified in established evaluation guidelines based on classroom visits and other information
- Supervising the work of the school's clerical staff
- Providing immediate supervision and direction to the custodial staff who are under the general administration and supervision of the Director of Custodial Services
- Providing immediate supervision and direction to the school's food service staff who are under the general administration and supervision of the Director of Cafeterias
- Serving as co-chair of the School Council, carrying out responsibilities as outlined by the general laws of the Commonwealth and school system policies leading the development of an annual school improvement plan.
- Any other duties as assigned by the Deputy Superintendent/Superintendent
- Minimum of a Master’s degree;
- Evidence of at least (5) years of successful teaching and administrative experience; preferably in high-performing or school turnaround context
- Track record of strong outcomes for students and experience coaching or developing instructional leaders preferred
- Deep understanding of outstanding practices in instruction, school culture and use of data
- Strong understanding of curriculum and instruction grounded in the Common Core Standards
- Superior interpersonal, relationship management and communication skills
- MA D.E.S.E. licensure at the appropriate level of Principal/Assistant Principal
- Citizenship, residency or work VISA in United States required
Qualified candidates, please email cover letter & resume to: email@example.com