JOB SUMMARY: Functions as a member of the healthcare team to deliver nursing care to patients under supervision of a Registered Nurse (RN). The Patient Care Technician assists in caring for patients by answering call lights, bathing, feeding, toileting, transporting, monitoring vital signs and provides for the basic needs of the patient. The Technician will also change linens and maintain patient rooms in an orderly fashion.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Demonstrates knowledge and technical skill necessary for providing safe and competent patient care and ability to follow instructions accurately.
- Maintains good physical and emotional well-being.
- Possesses genuine interest in caring for patients in the acute care environment.
- Personal qualities to include kindness, sympathy, understanding, respect, good judgment, integrity, loyalty, sense of humor and the ability to relate effectively with patients, families and coworkers.
- Demonstrates computer and keyboarding skills necessary to provide a complete and accurate electronic medical record.
- Documents accurate health data collection consistent with hospital, departmental and unit-specific policies/procedures/protocols.
- Demonstrates the ability to correctly use the telephone system to place callers on hold, transfer calls, etc.
- Duties include but are not limited to: Attending to patient care needs: answering call lights, bathing, toileting, turning, passing ice water; obtaining and correctly labeling venous puncture specimens; correctly applying EKG leads and running 12 lead EKG as requested; applying telemetry leads as ordered; performing hourly rounding and ensuring safety measures in place (ex.-bed/chair alarm, safe room environment without trip hazards, etc.); performing bedside shift report; utilizing AIDET-P; implementing fall prevention measures; obtaining: vital signs, accuchecks, hematests weights, accurate intake and output; maintaining appropriate hand hygiene compliance per policy; following appropriate isolation practices; maintaining a clean patient environment: providing linen changes, changing trash, cleaning environment, etc.; maintaining cleanliness of soiled utility rooms and equipment; stocking rooms with supplies as needed; documenting care provided and charging for appropriate items per nursing policy and procedure; maintaining patient safety during ambulation, transfers, re-positioning, etc.
- Associate can deliver care/service appropriate to patients/customers.
- Demonstrates competence in technical skills performed.
- Demonstrates critical thinking skills and the ability to prioritize care needs.
- Complies with direction of RN for patient activity/care.
- Displays/exhibits self-directed growth by seeking educational opportunities to improve knowledge/skill.
- Participates on appropriate house-wide committees as approved by the Unit Coordinator/Director.
- Contributes to implementing and supporting progressive change.
- Makes suggestions to solve patient care or unit problems.
- Identifies areas of quality improvement and offers suggestions/recommendations.
- Assists with orientation of new staff.
- Attends unit/departmental meetings/in-services at least 75 percent of the time or as assigned.
- Demonstrates acceptable attendance and punctuality per policy.
- Participates in quality improvement activities.
- Completes assigned responsibilities in an efficient, timely manner.
- Uses time not consumed by patient care to maintain the unit (cleaning, stocking, uncluttering, etc.).
- Utilizes unit supplies in a cost-conscious manner.
- Exhibits effective organizational skills that assist in decreasing and/or eliminating over use of man-hours.
- Recognizes impact of actions on co-workers and other departments and interacts in a manner conducive to teamwork and cost containment.
- Treats staff from other departments, co-workers, patients, and families with respect. Utilizes AIDET-P.
- Verbally communicates directions, answers to questions, etc. in a timely manner to patients, families, visitors, physicians, staff members and other departments.
- Applies good guest relation techniques to telephone conversations.
- Communicates pertinent patient information clearly, accurately, concisely and in a timely manner to designated persons.
- Collaborates with other members of the health team regarding patient care needs and responsibilities.
- Directs concerns to appropriate persons within timeframes suitable to the situation.
- Utilizes appropriate chain of command.
- Practice is consistent with safety principles, OSHA guidelines, and infection control guidelines.
- Observes equipment for malfunction and takes appropriate action.
- Delivers patient care in a compassionate, non-judgemental manner that respects individuals' right to privacy, dignity, respect and confidentiality at all times.
- Confronts individuals/situations assertively and non-aggressively when necessary to ensure the rights of patients, self and others are respected.
- Demonstrates effective conflict resolution skills thought the use of problem-solving skills, discretion and respect.
- Readily offers assistance to families, visitors, patients/residents and colleagues.
- Functions in a professional manner under stressful or emergency conditions.
- Utilizes effective verbal, non-verbal and written forms of communication.
- Conducts self in a manner consistent with the intent of the hospital's mission, vision, values, and patient’s first behavioral commitment.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Phlebotomy training, EKG training
- Mandatory Continuing Education: Annual dept. specific and hospital wide mandatories (Customer Service, Fire and Safety, Corporate Compliance, Infection Control, etc.), and education required by regulatory, accreditation bodies, scope of practice, and/or Hancock Regional Hospital.
|Hancock Regional Hospital serves Hancock County and the surrounding areas as a full-service community hospital focused on primary care, patient comfort, and convenience.
Today, a highly skilled medical and professional nursing staff anchors Hancock Regional Hospital. We have a state-of-the-art surgery department, 24-hour emergency services, OB services, progressive and critical care, a geropsychology unit, home healthcare, occupational health, a transitional care unit, a total oncology program with a cutting-edge radiation oncology center, many private rooms, and a full complement of Inpatient and outpatient services.
Our Mission is to be a Caring Community Partner by healing, improving health and wellness, alleviating suffering, and delivering acts of kindness one person at a time.