The Procurement Clerk is responsible for selecting and procuring various retail store supplies, technology, software, regalia, apparel/gifts, food and sundries for the GTCC campus stores. The Procurement Clerk meets with vendors, students and faculty and researches new trends or advances in product lines to make appropriate buying decisions that will bring the best values to students. Operates the Book Information Center at the Jamestown store as needed. Coordinates the day to day operations of the convenience store. Coordinates all merchandising and replenishment of assigned buying categories at all stores. Provides support for the Campus Store and Cashier Operations at the remote sites as needed.
- Procures, stocks and merchandises all school supplies, gifts/novelty items, uniforms, kits, software and technology items for the five campus stores; communicates with faculty by phone, email and office visits to complete supply orders; researches up-to-date supply items and changes.
- Requests adoptions from faculty to procure required and optional supply orders for each class; meets with instructors (Nursing, Dental, etc.) to ensure that supplies, kits and clothing items are ordered for the various technical departments. Adopts required items into POS/website
- Keeps a standard of receiving procedures to assure inventory accuracy and training appropriate staff in correct receiving procedures
- Provides staff coverage for select Campus Stores day to day as required, which can include schedule changes and driving to the remote campuses.
- Orders and coordinates the distribution of graduation caps and gowns to students and faculty and staff; attends graduation committee meetings and commencement ceremony and directs the annual Graduation Fair event
- Coordinates with the Senior Operations Technician the processing of all receivers for merchandise into the point of sale system and maintaining price/margin integrity.
- Organizes the merchandising of required supplies, books, uniforms, kits and food and drink products utilizing the store part time staff.
- Operates the Customer Service desk at the Jamestown store as needed.
- Orders food and sundries through college approved vendors for the Jamestown location.
- Creates and updates supply data and tracks sales through the POS system to order supplies and process returns for vendor credit for all campuses
- Data entry into Colleague/Ellucian for receipting payments and sponsorships.
- Assists the Retail Services Manager with the college’s Vending Services program.
- Provides technical support for students, staff and other college personnel as it relates to campus store activities, registration and supplies
- Cashes out registers and check out cashiers on an as-needed basis
- Accepts, receipts and verifies for deposit all cash, checks or other negotiable instruments in payment of books, supplies, sundries, tuition, fees other miscellaneous income as applicable
- Directs the overall merchandising and pricing of supplies in all stores to maintain a neat, clean and orderly presentation.
- Assists with the campus store annual inventory
- Participates on college committees and attends college meetings and activities
- Schedules and participates in staff development activities that will improve job skills and enhance overall job performance
- Adheres to the college’s time and attendance policy
- Attends annual local, state and national college campus store buying shows, tradeshows and conferences as needed
- Demonstrates and models the college’s employability skills: adaptability, communication, information processing, problem solving, responsibility and teamwork
- Performs all duties as assigned by supervisor
- Comparing and analyzing trends in technology to keep abreast of changes in the laptop and computer industry.
- Analyzing the historical sales data, sell-thru, digital sourcing and general marketplace data and then working with the Assistant Manager to interpret this data correctly in ordering and procurement.
- Attending tradeshows and conferences and meeting with hundreds of vendors to compare and contrast pricing, packaging and overall value of products.
- Meeting with faculty to resolve conflicts, questions and provide information on required materials.
- Consults with the Assistant Manager on forecasting sales trends each semester based on enrollment.
- Daily: supply vendors (over 300) re sales meetings, reports, trending technology, pricing, invoices, tradeshows, negotiating
- Several times a week: Senior Operations Technicians re campus store updates, advising
- Several times a week: Assistant Manager – re advice on buying and replenishment questions
- Several times a week: Retail Services Manager and Procurement Technicians re advice
- Weekly: faculty re planning, supply and uniform needs
- Quarterly: Senior Technician – Accounts Payable re invoicing issues
- Quarterly: Procurement Technician re new vendor registration
- Associates degree required from a regionally accredited post-secondary institution.
- Bachelor’s degree in business, accounting or a related field preferred from a regionally accredited post-secondary institution.
- Two years’ of experience working full time in a business or retail environment and/or equivalent part-time experience.
- Experience working in a college/university retail operation
- Retail Department Manager level experience
- Database project management experience
- Experience with Booklog software
- Knowledge and skills acquired in retail merchandising principles
- Knowledge of computers and proficiency with the most current network applications used by the college including Microsoft Excel, Word, and email
- Ability to work additional hours or alter work schedule to accommodate the timely completion of assigned job tasks
- Ability to work with automated and manual accounting/records systems
- Knowledge of basic math and the ability to make simple arithmetic calculations
- Knowledge of college, system-wide, federal, state and local regulations, policies and procedures as it pertains to the area of responsibility
- Ability to keep accurate, detailed records in an organized manner and maintain appropriate level of documentation for audit reviews
- Flexibility in providing back-up assistance for various departmental areas as needed and other locations
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, faculty/staff, administration and general public
- Demonstrated positive customer and quality focus by exercising human relations skills such as tact, diplomacy and professionalism
- Strong work ethic with the ability to use good judgment, identify alternative courses of action and perform assigned tasks with the appropriate level of direction and supervision
- Knowledge and understanding of retail buying or replenishment, specifically in office supplies and apparel
- General understanding of purchasing and inventory control principals in a public agency setting
|Department/Job Specific Requirements
- Acceptable criminal background check
- Acceptable credit history report
- Possession of or the ability to obtain a valid NC state driver’s license required. Must have and maintain a good driving record
- The following (compliance) training is required and must be completed within the first 30 days of hire with annual refresher training thereafter:
- Safety/Shooter on Campus
- Personal Information Protection Training (PIP)
- Anti-Discrimination/Harassment & Title IX
- Other training may be required as determined applicable.
- Physical Activity:Long periods of standing and or walking
- Environmental Hazard(s):<15%
- Lifting:20 to 50lbs.