Roaring Fork School District
School Bus Drivers Needed!
No CDL? We will train! $19.44/hour and up for qualified drivers.
Flexible Part Time hours and extra money for activity trips!
SUMMARY: This position is a limited duration training position in which the applicant is taught the knowledge and skills necessary to become a district Bus Driver. Upon successful completion of training the applicant has the opportunity to become qualified for and be promoted to Bus Driver. After successful completion of the training, applicants will know how to transport, safely and expediently, students to and from home and between schools. Training schedule is dependant upon the applicants skills, knowledge and application of learned materials and usually requires 40 to 60 hours to complete.
Job Tasks Descriptions
- Learns to be, and is: responsible for the safe and expedient transportation of students, including driving bus route according to bus stop locations and time schedules; monitoring behavior and actions of students on school bus while driving routes, to include noise levels and settling student disputes; communicating with Transportation personnel, parents and school officials regarding student behavior and completing various forms and reports including Daily Vehicle Inspection Reports, Student Behavior Reports, and Maintenance Work Requests. Learns to and aids in the loading and unloading process of students needing assistance in boarding as well as those with special needs, via stairs or lift mechanisms. Learns and monitors student riders for any suspected child abuse, sexual harassment, bullying, bodily fluids cleanup and medical conditions (e.g., diabetic shock, seizures, respiratory conditions, etc.). Monitors students at designated crossings to ensure students have safe passage.
- Learns how to and performs daily pre-trip inspection on bus in accordance with the Colorado Code of Regulations and District guidelines, including checking oil, tires and maintaining all fluids at the proper levels. Learns how to and completes daily post-trip inspections, including checking the condition of the bus. Learns how to and maintains the cleanliness of the bus interior. Learns how to and keeps a high level of bus cleanliness, both inside and out. Learns how to and fuels vehicles per department guidelines.
- Learns how to and communicates in person and on a two-way radio for routine, urgent and emergency situations. Learns how to and reports all unsafe route and bus stop conditions to the Dispatcher.
- Learns how to and use proper procedures when working with special education and wheelchair students. Learns how to and ensures that all seat belts, safety vests and any other required restraint devices are used properly. Protects all student confidential information.
- Attends all meetings and training sessions including all training and driver meetings.
- Learns how to and verifies route times at beginning and throughout the year to maintain the accuracy of the bus schedules. Learns how to and provides information to the Dispatcher for updating maps and routes. Learns how to and completes state required October 1st mileage and student count. Learns how to and updates personal route data and maps. Learns how to and establishes seat charts for all elementary and middle schools.
- Learns how to and performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND RELATED WORK EXPERIENCE:
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- No experience required.
LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS or CERTIFICATIONS:
- Criminal background check required for hire.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Valid Colorado driver’s license in order to begin the training process.
- Motor Vehicle Record showing a suitable driving record per District and State regulations.
- Commercial driver’s license (CDL) with Class B P2S CDL endorsement required before promotion to Bus Driver.
- Ability to pass the Colorado Department of Transportation physical examination before promotion to Bus Driver.
- Participation in the Colorado Department of Education Random Drug and Alcohol testing program before promotion to Bus Driver.
TECHNICAL SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE & ABILITIES:
- Ability to recognize the importance of safety in the workplace, follow safety rules, practice safe work habits, utilize appropriate safety equipment and report unsafe conditions to the appropriate administrator.
- Ability to communicate effectively (verbally and in writing) in English.
- Knowledge of city and county road networks and location of schools in the district.
- Knowledge of driving a bus and working parts of bus preferred at hire.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality in all aspects of the job.
- Critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Ability to diffuse and manage volatile and stressful situations.
- Ability to work with students with diverse backgrounds and abilities.
- Knowledge of Colorado and Federal laws as they relate to the transportation of students.
- Ability to promote and follow Board of Education policies, Superintendent policies and building and department procedures.
- Ability to communicate, interact and work effectively and cooperatively with all people including those from diverse ethnic and educational backgrounds.