The MetroHealth System, Cuyahoga County’s public health system, and its staff of nearly 8,000 provides care at MetroHealth’s four hospitals, four emergency departments and more than 20 health centers and 40 additional sites throughout Cuyahoga County. The health system is home to Cuyahoga County’s most experienced Level I Adult Trauma Center, verified since 1992, and Ohio’s only adult and pediatric trauma and burn center. As an academic medical center, MetroHealth is committed to teaching and research. Each active staff physician holds a faculty appointment at Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine. Our main campus hospital houses a Cleveland Metropolitan School District high school of science and health. The MetroHealth System is committed to creating a healthier community.
Responsible for maintaining anesthesia equipment, i.e. setting up, cleaning, and performing minor repairs. Takes inventory and maintains supplies. Upholds the standards of the system-wide customer service program.
Contributes to patient safety by:
a. Providing a safe environment for patients.
b. Reporting safety concerns, errors and near misses.
c. Participating in system improvement initiatives to prevent errors.
d. Providing evidence-based care as applicable to the role.
1. Maintains anesthesia equipment by:
a. Distributing and setting up anesthesia equipment relative to procedure in advance and on request. This includes specialty equipment and invasive lines and monitoring, difficult airway and pediatric or cardiac procedures.
b. Reporting malfunctioning equipment and supplies; replacing, as needed.
c. Performing routine maintenance and calibration of all anesthesia equipment, within assigned levels of expertise.
d. Repairing malfunctioning equipment within assigned limits of expertise.
e. Setting up and operating specialized pressure monitoring equipment.
f. Assisting in maintaining emergency equipment for hospital-wide use.
g. Documenting and maintaining preventative maintenance records.
h. Participating in transportation of patients to post-operative recovery areas as needed and returning anesthesia equipment to appropriate storage location.
2. Maintains inventory of anesthesia supplies and equipment, in conjunction with Supply Chain personnel, including but not limited to carts and machines in all operating rooms, remote anesthesia and stock room locations
3. Cleans, organizes, and maintains the Anesthesia workroom, supplies and equipment.
4. Disassembles, decontaminates, and sterilizes anesthesia equipment and supplies.
5. Immediately transports blood samples to appropriate laboratory.
6. Properly accounts for and delivers patient appropriate blood products to and from the operating room blood refrigerator and operating rooms when necessary.
7. Remains accessible to operating rooms at all times.
8. Transports equipment to remote locations if needed.
9. Cover assigned off shifts, including nights, weekends and holidays, if needed.
10. Participates in all aspects of operating room cleanup and turnover between surgical cases when needed.
11. Travels to regional ambulatory sites for equipment maintenance and support of Anesthesia team.
12. Displays sensitivity to and understanding of various cultural, ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
13. Performs other functionally related duties as assigned.
High school diploma or passage of a high school equivalency exam.
Experience in Perioperative protocols (i.e. sterile technique and field avoidance).
One or more years of experience in clinical anesthesia, allied health, nursing or military medical support
Good written and verbal communication skills
College level coursework in biology and/or chemistry
Certified Anesthesia Technologist (Cer.A.T.T.)
Graduate of an American Society of Anesthesia Technologists and Technicians (ASATT) approved educational program.
May need to move around intermittently during the day, including sitting, standing, stooping, bending, and ambulating.
May need to remain still for extended periods, including sitting and standing.
Ability move, push, pull, and/or lift equipment and inventory.
Ability to communicate in face-to-face, phone, email, and other communications.
Ability to read job related documents.
Ability to use computer.
The MetroHealth SystemCleveland, OH