The MetroHealth System, Cuyahoga County’s public health system, and its staff of nearly 8,000 provides care at MetroHealth’s four hospitals, four emergency departments and more than 20 health centers and 40 additional sites throughout Cuyahoga County. The health system is home to Cuyahoga County’s most experienced Level I Adult Trauma Center, verified since 1992, and Ohio’s only adult and pediatric trauma and burn center. As an academic medical center, MetroHealth is committed to teaching and research. Each active staff physician holds a faculty appointment at Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine. Our main campus hospital houses a Cleveland Metropolitan School District high school of science and health. The MetroHealth System is committed to creating a healthier community.
- Under the direction of the Nurse Manager or an assigned Registered Nurse (RN), provides various patient care duties for infant through geriatric patients. Upholds the mission, vision, values, and customer service standards of The MetroHealth System.
1. Provides general patient care support to the nursing unit, including:
a. Assisting patients with all aspects of personal hygiene (i.e. oral care/oral suctioning, peri-care, showering/bed/bath, etc.).
b. Lifting, turning, positioning, and transferring patients, including utilizing mechanical devices (i.e. transfer boards, hoyer lifts, sara lifts, etc.) as needed.
c. Promoting a safe environment by observing patients through purposeful hourly rounding throughout one’s tour of duty.
d. Documenting all data collected regarding the medical conditions of patients and reporting any changes in conditions to the RN.
e. Assisting patients with eating/drinking and distributing water/nourishments/meal trays.
f. Answering call lights, and assisting patients as needed.
g. Taking vital signs (i.e. temperature, pulse, respiration, blood pressure, height, weight, and other parameters as instructed).
h. Connecting/disconnecting urinary drainage bags, changing external catheters, toileting patients, and assisting with bladder training.
i. Performing duties associated with bowel routines as assigned.
j. Emptying drainage containers and measuring/recording known intake and output (excluding intravenous intake).
k. Performing/transmitting basic ECG and phlebotomy.
l. Making beds, stocking, or assisting with unit activities as directed by a RN.
m. Providing comfort measures, including utilizing pressure relieving devices, range of motion (ROM) activities, and applying simple protective dressings.
n. Applying and disconnecting restraints under the direction of a RN.
o. Assembling supplies, equipment, and prostheses for patients’ own use.
p. Performing treatments as directed by a RN (i.e. Sitz baths, application of ice packs or heat, soaking extremities, etc.).
q. Setting up for and assisting with examinations/treatments/surgical preps.
r. Implementing and/or reinforcing fall prevention strategies.
2. Collaborates with other members of the Health Care Team, including:
a. Receiving change of shift reports and attending unit in-services/activities.
b. Communicating pertinent information appropriately.
c. Utilizing appropriate technologies.
d. Participating in discharge planning and reinforcing patient education.
3. Performs customer service activities related to patient care, including:
a. Assisting with admissions and discharges; conducting inventory of patient belongings upon admission and completing all necessary forms.
b. Setting up, collecting, labeling, and recording specimens.
c. Transporting and/or accompanying patients as needed.
d. Preparing bodies after death and transporting to the morgue.
e. Maintaining a safe and neat environment in all patient care areas.
f. Cleaning and calibrating equipment as needed.
g. Performing general nursing cleaning duties as needed.
4. Participates in the orientation of hospital personnel; attends annual education programs to meet the requirements of The Joint Commission and other regulatory agencies.
5. Performs other functionally related duties as assigned.
High School Diploma or passage of a high school equivalency exam.
Meets one of the following:
• Registered in good standing as a State Tested Nursing Assistant (STNA) with the Ohio Department of Health (ODH) Nurse Aide Registry (NOTE: Maintaining ODH Registry status as a STNA is optional after employment in this position).
• A graduate of an accredited Medical Assistant program.
• A graduate of an accredited Nursing program.
• Completion of a Medical Assisting-comparable military educational program for medics/hospital corpsman with an honorable discharge (if applicable).
• Holds a certificate as an Emergency Medical Responder (EMR), Emergency Medical Technician (EMT) Advanced Emergency Medical Technician (AEMT), or Paramedic.
• 1 year of experience as a Patient Care Nurse Assistant in a hospital.
Possess a current Basic Life Support (BLS) certification from the American Heart Association (AHA) OR obtains within 90 days of hire.
Good interpersonal skills.
Ability to work in a team environment while demonstrating good judgment, flexibility, initiative, and effectively problem-solving skills.
Basic computer skills to document observations electronically.
For Cardiac Stepdown: Successful completion of the MetroHealth EKG training course and passes the Basic EKG Test with a score of 85% or better within the standard probationary period.
Ability to interact effectively with a wide range of cultural, ethnic, racial, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
Previous experience in the health care field.
May sit, stand, stoop, bend, and walk intermittently during the day.
May need to sit or stand for extended periods.
See in the normal visual range with or without correction.
Hear in the normal audio range with or without correction.
Ability to lift, push, and pull 50 pounds independently.
Ability to lift 250-300 pounds with assistance.
Ability to push/pull up to 500 pounds with assistance.
Requires some exposure to communicable diseases or body fluids.
Requires some exposure to chemicals and cleaning products.
The MetroHealth SystemCleveland, OH