Fire Chief -Lexington Fire Department
Job ID 3838
Location Fayette County
In order to apply for this position, use "Fire Chief" as your subject line and submit your resume and any other attachments to the following email by the filing deadline date:
The salary range for this position is $104,844.48 to $167,167.52 annually.
This is an exempt position and is not eligible for overtime.
FILING DEADLINE DATE
The deadline to apply is Monday, November 9, 2020.
The purpose of this classification is to perform administrative work of complex difficulty in planning, organizing, directing and supervising the activities of the Division of Fire and Emergency Services.
****This is an appointed position.
Master’s Degree in fire science, municipal fire service administration, fire prevention and fire fighting techniques or a related field; and, a minimum of six (6) years of progressively responsible fire fighting and supervisory experience; or, an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Develops and administers policies and guidelines for the operation and administration of the division
- Directs the enforcement of statutes, ordinances, codes, policies and regulations to assure the safety of the community
- Directs investigations to determine the cause of fires and assists in investigation of arson incidents
- Directs the provision of Emergency Medical Services in compliance with federal, state and local laws, regulations and policies
- Responds to and directs the activities at scene of major fires or other emergency operations.
- Directs the inspection and condemnation of hazardous structures
- Evaluates and recommends staffing and recommends need for expansion of services, manpower levels, working conditions, etc.
- Evaluates and recommends need for construction of fire stations and the purchase of apparatus and equipment
- Confers with and advises Assistant Fire Chiefs and other personnel on problems relating to fire fighting and other related services
- Prepares and reviews necessary reports, records and correspondence.
- Prepares and submits budget requests and administers the division’s budget in accordance with program goals and objectives
- Represents the division at various internal and external meetings; speaks on behalf of the division as required
- Valid Driver’s License
- Must possess certification in Kentucky as a firefighter or be able to obtain the certification within six (6) months.
- Must be accessible for on-call duty and ability to work weekends and holidays as assigned and on emergencies.
- Subject to random drug testing.
- Must comply with CAO Policy 23 “Acquisition of Real Property From Property Owners under Certain Notices and/or Orders.” Specifically, sections I (a), II (a), which state that employees and their immediate family members shall not own residential real property in Lexington, Fayette County, in which they do not reside; nor own an Ownership Interest in a business that manages, maintains or oversees the management or maintenance of any residential, rental real property in Fayette County. Also, section IV (a), which states that every employee in the Division of Building Inspection, the Division of Code Enforcement, the Fire Prevention Bureau, the Division of Planning, and the Division of Engineering must complete a “Disclosure of Real Property and Business Interests” form for all real property owned by the employee as well as his/her immediate family members in Fayette County, and property owned in Fayette County by a business in which the employee or immediate family member has an ownership interest. Employees must also disclose property located in Fayette County which he/she manages or maintains or has any ownership interest in business which manages or maintains property in Fayette County.
- Must be able to operate Urban County Government equipment and vehicles in a safe, prudent and responsible manner.
- All positions require drug testing before employment and may require a post-job offer physical as stated in Ordinances 21-14(b), 22-13 and 23-16.
- Pursuant to the Drug Free Workplace Act of 1988 and to sections 21-52, 22-34 and 23-50 of the Code of Ordinances, all employees must remain drug and alcohol free when reporting to work, while at work and while engaged in any work related activities.
- Based on Federal Regulations 19-10 this position may be eligible for and offered the hepatitis vaccinations. In addition, employees will be required to sign a statement stating they have accepted or declined the hepatitis vaccination.
Lexington-Fayette Urban County Government offers an outstanding benefits package, i.e. voluntary benefits spending account program; three weeks vacation and three weeks sick leave per year. Direct Deposit is required of all employees.
Applicants must be able to perform all essential job functions, as identified in the job posting. All positions require drug testing before employment and may require a pre-employment physical.
The LFUCG is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer, and as such is committed to nondiscrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation or gender identity in hiring, promotion, discharge, pay and other aspects of employment.
For further information, call, e-mail, or visit:
Division of Human Resources
200 East Main Street
Lexington, KY 40507
Phone: (859) 258-3030
Web site: www.lexingtonky.gov/jobs