HandsOn Bay Area is looking to hire three individuals who are driven and inspired by the work that volunteers can achieve. Through our Associate position, you will create engaging volunteer experiences, coordinate the logistics around the volunteer projects, and guide volunteers through their work on project days. In addition, the Associate position provides hands-on experience in supporting a team/department, providing you with great insight into how nonprofits operate, while providing opportunities to hone your current skills and develop new skills. Our current open positions are in Finance, Administration, and Program Design.
You are passionate about the work that volunteers can provide to nonprofits. You are great at paying attention to small details while not losing focus of the bigger picture. And you are able to calm your nerves to be comfortable being in front of and leading large groups of people (in-person or virtually) -- because we know it can be intimidating, but it can also be tons of fun! Does this sound like you? If so, you should read more about the position below and then apply!
Position Purpose: The Associate’s primary responsibility will be developing and leading HandsOn Bay Area volunteer events that engage volunteers from our many corporate partners. You will plan and develop volunteer projects, coordinate the logistics surrounding the event, and manage and lead the volunteers on the day of the event. HandsOn is currently executing many of our projects virtually, so comfort facilitating events online as well as in person is key. When not leading projects, the Associate will assist with a variety of non-profit operations support relating to their respective teams (Program Design, Finance, or Administration)
Volunteer Event Development
- Research and develop creative new projects that meet the needs of the community with guidance from the Volunteer Experience and Community Relations teams.
- Coordinate and/or conduct site visits with nonprofit agencies to scope out activities the volunteers will complete (i.e. painting, gardening, cleaning, etc).
- Research, organize, and prepare plans and materials to make each volunteer project a success.
- Communicate professionally and promptly with corporate clients about project details.
- Communicate promptly and effectively with all fellow staff members supporting projects.
- With the assistance of the Volunteer Experience & Program Design teams, create, store, and share project development resources with the rest of the team.
Day-of Volunteer Event Management
- Ensure that project experiences are safe, productive, and fun for the volunteers.
- Welcome, direct, and instruct/manage large groups of volunteers.
- Communicate clearly with volunteers to articulate the goals of the project.
- Take photos of volunteers during the project.
- Troubleshoot any problems that might arise.
- Coordinate project clean-up as the project is ending.
- Ensure that project goals are met.
Post Event Wrap-up
- Complete debrief documents and communicate any points of interest to relevant HandsOn staff members.
- Upload Photos from the project.
- Communicate post project information to corporate and non-profit partners.
- Finalize any expenses or adjustments to the supplies needed.
Logistics (as needed)
- Organize and package tools/supplies from our tool warehouse for use at volunteer projects (i.e. garden tools, painting supplies, cleaning supplies).
- Deliver tools/supplies to project sites. Pick up tools/supplies after projects are complete.
- Pack, ship, and receive Project in a Box orders.
- Assist in organizing, cleaning, and completing other warehouse tasks.
- Quality check items being delivered to agency partners.
- Assist with Salesforce maintenance; audit data entries of Community Relations team weekly.
- Facilitate Program Design Team administrative tasks.
- Support the implementation of virtual/In-person project training and redesigns.
- Assist with agency partner relationships.
- Review new inquiries regarding HandsOn Bay Area programs & services.
- Support outreach engagement and onboarding of agency partners for our programs.
- Assist with collecting agency feedback on programs.
- Coordinate with agencies to match PIB donations and gather input.
- Additional program-related projects and tasks as needed.
- Process daily and weekly financial transactions (expenses & deposits) in Quickbooks Online, Tallie (expense tracking) and Salesforce.
- Enter/code bills and credit card transactions.
- Process and enter deposits.
- Oversee petty cash.
- Check the finance email inbox daily.
- Create financial reports that capture expenses for various volunteer projects.
- Additional finance-related projects and tasks as needed.
- Process daily financial/development transactions (income/invoicing) in Quickbooks Online and Salesforce.
- Create and send invoices.
- Oversee the development email inbox.
- Assist with donor data management (Salesforce):
- record, audit, and update entries.
- process thank you letters for donations.
- Provide office oversight to support our team (maintain an organized/clean office environment for our team; receive and distribute mail; order supplies as needed).
- Additional administrative-related projects and tasks as needed.
Responsibilities of all HandsOn Bay Area Staff
- Embrace HandsOn Bay Area’s mission and core values.
- Be ambassadors for HandsOn Bay Area in the community.
- Support the fundraising efforts of the organization.
- Act as leaders on HandsOn Bay Area corporate service projects as necessary.
- Occasionally work in our warehouse to organize and package supplies for volunteer projects and assist with supply delivery/retrieval.
- Ability to organize and plan virtual and in-person volunteer projects.
- Comfortable speaking in front of and facilitating groups (from 10 to 100+), both virtually and in-person. Enthusiasm to take on leadership of large-scale projects (100+ volunteers), a plus.
- Familiarity with Google Suite: Gmail, Calendar, Drive, Sheets, Docs, and Slides. Experience with Salesforce, Quickbooks Online, and Bill.com is a big plus, but training can be provided.
- Great customer service skills; good interpersonal and communication skills, written & verbal.
- Able to provide positive supervision and mentoring for volunteers at a project.
- Detail oriented. Able to multi-task with flexibility to succeed in a fast-paced environment.
For in-person volunteer projects:
- Valid CA driver’s license (or willingness to obtain a license) for travel to project sites throughout the Bay Area.
- Experience with gardening, painting, or construction, a plus (we can provide training).
- Ability to drive vehicles like small U-hauls/large vans a plus. Experience driving medium-sized (10-14’) U-Hauls is a big plus. If you don’t have this experience, we can train you.
- Ability to lift and carry event supplies and load them into our fleet.
- A team player who can also work independently AND have fun!
- Interested in nonprofit work and believes in the value of community service.
- Organized, likes attention to detail, good time-management skills.
- Professional demeanor in person, in virtual meetings, and in email communications.
- Handy with basic project budgeting.
- Application Due Date: October, 10
- Phone Interviews: Ongoing through October 13
- Virtual Interviews: Ongoing through October 20
- Anticipated Start Date: November 1
$47,500 yearly. Includes a great benefits package: health/vision/dental insurance - premiums covered 100% for employees, 50% for spouse/registered domestic partner/children; 3 weeks of vacation; community service time off; sabbaticals; and 401k plan with up to 4% salary match.
HandsOn Bay Area is committed to continuing to make diversity, equity, and inclusion part of everything we do. Bring your true self. Uniqueness is powerful.