$69,950.40 - $88,649.60 Annually Location
Seattle, WAJob Type
Career Service, Full Time, 40 hrs/weekDepartment
DNRP-Natural Resources & ParksJob Number
This is an opportunity to apply engine mechanical skills and knowledge in an industrial setting. The position offers great benefits and job security in a unionized environment.
Working in a team setting where it is rewarding and challenging, great benefits and a positive company culture. Employees working at West Point contribute to the environmental stewardship of their local community while also enjoying a healthy work-life balance
Employee will be involved in a variety of work ranging from small individual projects to major pump repairs. Who is eligible to apply : This position is open to all qualified candidates.
F irst consideration given to qualified S.E.I.U. 925 (Wastewater Treatment Division) internal candidates. Job Duties
- Maintain, repair, troubleshoot and overhaul a variety of complex machinery.
- Install, repair, maintain and design piping and plumbing systems for sewage, water, gases, chemicals and solids using appropriate materials. Install, design and fabricate a variety of metal fixtures including vents, air ducts, doors, louvers, containers, equipment covers, machinery bases and support members
- Design, fabricate and repair plant piping, equipment guards and bases using welding equipment, metal inert and tungsten inert gases, arc, cutting, torch and plasma cutter and plastic welder
- Plan equipment repairs using blueprints, engineering drawings, computer-aided design, Maintenance Information Management System (MIMS), operations and maintenance manuals, vendor data, catalogs, internet or intranet information, work with Computer-Aided Design (CAD) personnel to provide as-built drawings to facilitate parts and material ordering, equipment assembly and modifications
- Perform other duties as assigned
Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
- Work Location: West Point Treatment Plant - 1400 Discovery Park Blvd, Seattle, WA 98199
- Work Schedule: This position is covered under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and is overtime eligible.? This full-time position works a 40-hour work week.??
- Union Representation: This position is represented by S.E.I.U. 925 (Wastewater Treatment Division).
Licensing, Certification and Other Requirements
- Knowledge of the mechanical maintenance trade which is typically found in two years of working experience as a millwright or related occupation which includes a broad scope of mechanical maintenance responsibilities.
- Knowledge of the application of plumbing techniques and principles;
- Knowledge of all types of welding techniques and principles including flat position welding;
- Knowledge of the use of vibration analysis techniques, measurements, test equipment and software in troubleshooting and/or maintaining rotating machinery;
- Knowledge of the application of pump/motor overhaul techniques and principles.
- Knowledge of packing, bearings, and mechanical seals;
- Knowledge of in reading schematic drawings.
- Knowledge of the use and care of power and hand tools and their safe operation;
- Basic knowledge of carpentry techniques to build supports for the repair and overhaul of machinery.
- Knowledge of safety procedures associated with handling hazardous materials.
- Knowledge of using an automated maintenance work order system;
- Knowledge and demonstrated skill in using a computer and associated software.
- Knowledge of the application of lubrication principles and techniques.
- Demonstrated skill in the use of troubleshooting equipment, machinist measuring techniques and tools and the operation of mills, lathes and drill press.
- Excellent oral and written communication techniques and principles;
- Able to apply these skills in reading, writing, and following oral and written instructions.
- Skill in working with a diverse group of individuals in varying occupations and varying skill levels.
- Skill in working in a team environment.
- Washington State Driver's License
- Additional licenses, certifications and other requirements determined to be necessary to meet the business needs of the employing unit may be required
- The position requires the ability to work all shift schedules and required to report to work during adverse and inclement weather conditions
- Incumbents perform field work at a wastewater treatment plant and associated facilities and are required to lift and carry equipment weighing up to 50 pounds, work in confined spaces, climb in and out of tanks using ladders, and work around noxious odors and high noise levels
- Action Oriented - Identifies and seizes new opportunities; Displays a can-do attitude in good and bad times; Steps up to handle tough issues
- Manages Ambiguity - Deals comfortably with the uncertainty of change; Is calm and productive, even when things are up in the air; Deals constructively with the problems that do not have clear solutions or outcomes
- Collaborates - Works cooperatively with others across the organization to achieve shared objectives; Partners with others to get work done; Credits others for their contributions and accomplishments; Gains trust and support of others
- Communicates Effectively - Is effective in a variety of communication settings: one-on-one, small and large groups, or among diverse styles and position levels; Attentively listens to others; Provides timely and helpful information to others across the organization
- Manages Complexity - Asks the right questions to accurately analyze situations; Uncovers root causes to difficult problems; Evaluates pros and cons, risks and benefits of different solution options
- Decision Quality - Makes sound decisions, even in the absence of complete information; Considers all relevant factors and uses appropriate decision-making criteria and principles
- Being Resilient - Is confident under pressure; Handles and manages crises effectively; Maintains a positive attitude despite adversity; Bounces back from setbacks; Grows from hardships and negative experiences
Application and Selection Process:
Application materials will be screened for clarity, completeness including online application, cover letter and resume, and responses to the list of qualifications, skills, and abilities. The most competitive candidates may be invited to participate in one or more panel interviews. Applications without the following required materials may not be considered for this position
For more information regarding this recruitment, please contact:
- King County Application
- Cover Letter
- Responses to Supplemental Questions
email@example.com Supplemental Information WHO ARE WE?
We are committed to the principles of equity and social justice. We value diverse perspectives and life experiences in our workforce and are committed to building a culturally diverse and inclusive environment. WTD strives to provide equitable services to residents and businesses across King County
This opportunity is great for anyone looking for an organization that empowers continued learning, supports our values of work/life balance, and is dedicated to preserving the beauty and health of the Puget Sound region.
WHY WORK FOR KING COUNTY?
King County was named "Best-in-State Employer" in the Forbes magazine 2019, ranking 16 on the list of best employers in Washington State, visit Awards given to King County to see more! King County's Investing in YOU initiative to build a workplace where ALL employees can thrive, and become the nation's Best Run Government. Enjoy a balanced life with benefits that support you!
WHY IT'S WORTH TAKING A SECOND LOOK AT WORKING FOR KING COUNTY:
http://kingcounty.gov/audience/employees/careers/why-work-here.aspx Forbes recently named King County as one of Washington State's best employers.Together, with leadership and our employees, we're changing the way government delivers service and winning national recognition as a model of excellence. Are you ready to make a difference? Come join the team dedicated to serving one of the nation's best places to live, work and play.
Guided by our "True North" , we are making King County a welcoming community where every person can thrive. We value diversity, inclusion and belonging in our workplace and workforce. To reach this goal we are committed to workforce equity. Equitable recruiting, support, and retention is how we will obtain the highest quality workforce in our region; a workforce that shares and will help advance our guiding principles--we are one team; we solve problems; we focus on the customer; we drive for results; we are racially just; we respect all people; we lead the way; and we are responsible stewards. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply, including Native American and people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ+, people living with disabilities, and veterans.COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
King County Executive Branch employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are the successful candidate for the position you applied for, the County will send you a conditional offer letter.
As a condition of employment, prior to a final offer of employment, you will be required to:
- submit proof of vaccination, or
- have an approved request for medical or religious exemption and an approved accommodation. Philosophical, political, scientific, or sociological objections to vaccination will not be considered for an exemption or accommodation.
People are considered fully vaccinated against COVID-19 two weeks after receiving the final dose of a vaccination approved by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
The Executive Branch includes employees in the Executive branch, the Assessor's Office, Elections, the King County Sheriff's Office, and the Executive Office.King County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer
No person is unlawfully excluded from employment opportunities based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other protected class. Our EEO policy applies to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, selection for training, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.To Apply
If you are interested in pursuing this position, please follow the application instructions carefully. If you need this announcement in an alternate language or format, would like to request accommodation or assistance in the application or assessment process or if you have questions please contact the recruiter listed on this job announcement.
King County offers a highly-competitive compensation and benefits package designed to meet the diverse needs of our employees and support our employees' health and well-being. Eligible positions receive the following benefits and have access to the following programs:
- Medical, dental, and vision coverage: King County pays 100% of the premiums for eligible employees and family members
- Life and disability insurance: employees are provided basic coverage and given the opportunity to purchase additional insurance for both the employee and eligible dependents
- Retirement: King County employees are eligible to participate in a pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems and a 457(b) deferred-compensation plan
- Transportation program and ORCA transit pass
- 10 paid holidays each year (plus 2 personal holidays)
- Generous vacation and paid sick leave
- Paid parental leave, family and medical leaves, and volunteer leave
- Flexible Spending Account
- Wellness programs
- Onsite gyms and activity centers
- Employee giving program
- Employee assistance programs
- Flexible schedules and telecommuting options, depending on position
- Training and career development programs
For additional information about employee benefits please visit our Benefits, Payroll, and Retirement Page .
This is a general description of the benefits offered to eligible King County employees, and every effort has been made to ensure its accuracy. If any information on this document conflicts with the provisions of a collective bargaining agreement (CBA), the CBA prevails. Also, in the event of any incorrect information in this document, applicable laws, policies, rules, CBAs, or official plan documents will prevail.NOTE:
Benefits for Term Limited Temporary (TLT) or Short Term Temporary (STT) positions, including leave eligibility and/or participation in the pension plan through the Washington State Department of Retirement Systems, will vary based upon the terms and details of the position.Short Term Temporary positions are not eligible for an ORCA transit pass.
For inquiries about the specifics of this position, please contact the recruiter identified on this job posting.