CLLS AmeriCorps Library Literacy Member
San Mateo County Libraries
Under the direction of the AmeriCorps Program Manager and assigned library literacy leadership team, the incumbent will assist in implementing California Library Literacy Services at the assigned San Mateo County Libraries. Primary roles include functioning as an adult literacy tutor for adults seeking learning services and providing capacity building services and pandemic relief by recruiting additional volunteers and adult learners. Members may also develop and promote learner leadership activities, develop financial literacy programs and tutoring, assist with family literacy services, and promote community engagement opportunities for library literacy programs. Members are assigned to one library system, and work in teams of at least 2 members. Members are trained by AmeriCorps and by their assigned libraries.
Term of Service: Minimum of 1700 service and training hours in the 2022-2023 year. Term begins October 2022 and ends no later than September 30, 2023. Service hours are available Monday –Sunday, and the schedule will be collaboratively set between successful applicant and San Mateo County Libraries. The service member agrees to work at least 1700 hours over the term of the assignment
Benefits: $980 Living Allowance Stipend twice per month while in service (total $25,500). Education Award of $10,000 contingent upon completion of term. Student loan forbearance upon lender approval. Eligible for health insurance and child-care assistance.
- Tutor adults in literacy skills under the direction of library literacy team; skills may include reading, writing, digital literacy, workforce development, speaking, listening
- Attend required training sessions, workshops and community service events both in-person and virtually
- Work with other members to help coordinate AmeriCorps activities
- Complete required program documentation in an accurate and timely manner
- Administer or obtain roles & goals assessments three times per year to monitor learner progress
- Assist with recruitment and management of volunteers
- Participate in meetings with AmeriCorps Managers and literacy leadership team
- Participate in nationally recognized service days
- Initial mandatory online statewide training via the AmeriCorps Supervisor and team
- Mandatory local training by site staff, including tutor training and program orientation
- Ongoing monthly virtual trainings provided by CLLS project staff and AmeriCorps Supervisor and team
Evaluation & Reporting:
- Members will complete timecards biweekly using assigned reporting system
- Members will complete goals and performance measurement reporting as required by AmeriCorps supervisors
- Members will be evaluated twice during service year, once after three months and again after nine months; evaluations are intended to be a mutual exchange of information that informs the program’s service
Education & Experience:
- High school diploma: college degree preferred* o *Adult Learners on Staff (current or former CLLS learners) may qualify for service without holding a high school diploma if they agree to enroll in a high school degree program while serving.
- Experience with education, tutoring, and/or teaching literacy skills preferred, community service and organizational skills desirable. AmeriCorps is seeking candidates who are comfortable with and competent to serve as adult literacy tutors and program organizers.
- Comfort in using English in both oral and written communications
- Basic literacy assessment techniques
- Record keeping and data compilation methods
- Implement a literacy tutoring program under the direction of the library literacy team
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with adult learners, AmeriCorps members, community groups and the general public
- Respect and learn inclusive and equity-based approaches to community engagement
- Respond to conflicts in a healthy manner, calm, non-defensive, respectful
- Maintain records and prepare reports in a timely manner
- Meet schedules and timelines
- Work independently and follow direction of supervising literacy coordinator
- Comply with all AmeriCorps and library standards and guidelines
- Use internet communication and basic computer programs
- Travel throughout San Mateo County to team trainings and service activities in the community
- Ability to stand and sit for extended periods of time
- Minimum age of 17
- Documentation (U.S. birth certificate or passport) or proof of status as a lawful permanent resident of the U.S., which verifies identity and authorizes the right to offer AmeriCorps service in the U.S
- Satisfactory criminal background and national sex offender checks (required to use the National Service Criminal History Check system)
- Certification of any diplomas or degrees indicated as a position qualification.
For more information about AmeriCorps visit: https://www.californiavolunteers.ca.gov/americorps-why-i-serve/
For more information about San Mateo County Libraries visit: https://smcl.org/
To apply, send a resume and cover letter explaining why you are interested in this work to Nicole Cuadra at email@example.com.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Accommodation for people with disabilities: If you are in need of special services or facilities due to a disability in order to apply or interview for this position, please contact the library where you are applying for a position.