WHO MAY APPLY: This is an internal opening for Job Progression candidates in King County Wastewater S.E.I.U., Local 925 in the Wastewater Treatment Operator classification series only. This posting will be used to facilitate Job Progression of Wastewater Treatment Operators to the Senior Operators at their current Treatment Plants.
The work associated with this position will primarily be performed onsite; this is not a telework position. Employees must reside in WA state and within a reasonable distance to their King County worksite to respond to workplace reporting requirements. Please note that when an employee conducts work that is likely to bring them in contact with another individual, safety precautions are required by the department in alignment with the Public Health Directive from the Seattle & King County Public Health Officer. The individual selected for this opportunity will be joining an innovative and progressive team. King County is doing its part to reduce the spread of COVID-19 and remains committed to reducing our carbon footprint
WORK LOCATION: Candidates’ current work site.
WORK SCHEDULE: Applicants must be available to work any assigned schedule. This position is overtime eligible.
- Job Duties
Performing advanced level mechanical responsibilities including conducting complex maintenance, overhaul, and installation of mechanical equipment and providing leadership and direction to mechanical and other skilled craft personnel in the Wastewater Treatment Division. Master Maintenance Mechanics act as liaison with wastewater operations staff, engineering, project managers and vendors regarding assigned mechanical work assignments.
For specific details of this job, please see this link.
- Experience, Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills
- The candidate possesses the certification and licenses required at the classification level.
- The candidate has completed the required training.
- The candidate has achieved an above standard rating (3.6667 to 4.333) or higher on their last performance evaluations or probationary evaluation; and has successfully completed any/all formal performance improvement plans.
- The candidate has sufficient experience at the established level in critical areas and under the critical circumstance to demonstrate competent performance and the higher-level classifications.
- The candidate has passed, at the established level, any required knowledge skills, general competency and/or specific technical proficiency tests.
- The candidate has been free of discipline for a minimum of one year and all disciplinary issues are resolved to the satisfaction of the review board.
- Required work portfolio elements.
- Required Signoffs.
Required Supplemental Materials to be reviewed by the Job Progression Promotion Review Board:
- Pertinent copies of your licenses, certifications and training records.
- Supervisor support/endorsement form.
- A portfolio or job progression book showing examples of your advanced level of proficiency in the installation, repair, lubrication, overhaul and maintenance of complex heavy mechanical equipment, and an advanced ability of machine shop, fabrication, welding, hydraulics, the use of special tools, demonstrated leadership and readiness to be considered for progression to Master Industrial Maintenance Mechanic.
- A list of employees who can verify your work, technical expertise and leadership in the work examples that you have identified. These employees will be surveyed by WTD-HR and asked to rate your performance, technical expertise and leadership in the situations that you identified.
Job Progression Promotion Review Board
Part 1 - Written Test, Interviews, Demonstrations/Working Tests, Review Portfolio (including feedback from others on tasks).
Part 2 - Trial Service Period - those recommended for progression to Senior Operator by the Job Progression Promotion Review Board must successfully complete a 6-months Trial Service Period, at the employee's same site/crew.
Applications without the following required materials may not be considered for this position.
- King County Application
- Supplemental Materials (Portfolio)
Please submit your completed Supplemental Materials (Portfolio) to the Wastewater Support Specialists at your respective treatment plants, by November 30, 2022. If unable to locate a support specialist, please contact Angela Dickson (email@example.com).
UNION MEMBERSHIP: This position is represented by S.E.I.U., Wastewater Local 925.
For more information regarding this recruitment, please contact:
Rodney O. Dungo
Human Resource Analyst
- Supplemental Information
Forbes recently named King County as one of Washington State's best employers.
Together, with leadership and our employees, we're changing the way government delivers service and winning national recognition as a model of excellence. Are you ready to make a difference? Come join the team dedicated to serving one of the nation's best places to live, work and play.
Guided by our "True North", we are making King County a welcoming community where every person can thrive. We value diversity, inclusion and belonging in our workplace and workforce. To reach this goal we are committed to workforce equity. Equitable recruiting, support, and retention is how we will obtain the highest quality workforce in our region; a workforce that shares and will help advance our guiding principles--we are one team; we solve problems; we focus on the customer; we drive for results; we are racially just; we respect all people; we lead the way; and we are responsible stewards. We encourage people of all backgrounds and identities to apply, including Native American and people of color, immigrants, refugees, women, LGBTQ+, people living with disabilities, and veterans.
COVID-19 Vaccination Requirement
King County Executive Branch employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If you are the successful candidate for the position you applied for, the County will send you a conditional offer letter.
As a condition of employment, prior to a final offer of employment, you will be required to:
- submit proof of vaccination, or
- have an approved request for medical or religious exemption and an approved accommodation. Philosophical, political, scientific, or sociological objections to vaccination will not be considered for an exemption or accommodation.
People are considered fully vaccinated against COVID-19 two weeks after receiving the final dose of a vaccination approved by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
The Executive Branch includes employees in the Executive branch, the Assessor's Office, Elections, the King County Sheriff's Office, and the Executive Office.
King County is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Employer
No person is unlawfully excluded from employment opportunities based on race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, or other protected class. Our EEO policy applies to all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, selection for training, promotion, transfer, demotion, layoff, termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.
If you are interested in pursuing this position, please follow the application instructions carefully. If you need this announcement in an alternate language or format, would like to request accommodation or assistance in the application or assessment process or if you have questions please contact the recruiter listed on this job announcement.