Category(s): Allied Health Clinical Professional, Laboratory
Full Time / Part Time: Full-Time
In collaboration with Medical Directors, is responsible for effective and efficient management of laboratory services, including Histology, Surgical Pathology, Cytology, Electron Microscopy, and Autopsy Services and general oversight of the Morgue. Ensure quality service that meets CLIA, CAP, JCAHO, and other regulatory requirements and the needs of internal and external clients. Oversee departmental performance improvement, quality control and assurance activities, staff education and development, and maintain effective inter-departmental working relationships and communication. Develop and maintain a positive, effective work environment for staff. Provide technical expertise and consultation to health care providers and other contacts and all Baystate Health laboratories.
1) Personnel Management: Responsible for performance evaluations, scheduling, orientation, training, staff development and education, recruitment, compensation, promotions, transfers, disciplinary action, termination, and similar actions. Within the scope of authority, in collaboration with Human Resource Business Partner, resolves grievances and personnel problems.
Investigates and resolves complaints. Actively support "employer of choice" and employee engagement concepts to ensure a positive work environment. Must embody the Baystate Health Operating Principles.
2) Technical Operations: In collaboration with Medical Directors, develop and maintain policies and procedures that meet all regulatory requirements. Ensure the accurate, timely, and appropriate performance of all testing. Collaborate with Medical and Laboratory Director to introduce new tests, instrumentation, and method improvements. Oversee evaluation and selection of equipment, make recommendations for equipment acquisitions and collaborate with Laboratory Director and Materials Management staff in contract evaluation and negotiations for equipment and supplies. Serve as a resource to health care providers regarding the resolution of unusual findings and recommendations for testing. Work with Medical Directors to ensure only medically necessary and clinically relevant testing is offered and performed.
3) Work with laboratory management across BH to ensure collaboration, standardization, integration, and oversight (where appropriate) of related services across the health system. Collaborate with Laboratory Director to support strategic planning and Baystate Reference Laboratories market development.
4) Financial Management: responsible for service operation within budgetary guidelines. Monitor financial performance on regular basis or as required. Prepare annual budget and proposals for capital equipment and new programs. Maintain Charge Description Master and appropriate CPT coding for all test procedures.
5) Regulatory Compliance: Maintain departmental policies, procedures, and practices in a manner consistent with the accreditation requirements of CAP, JCAHO, DPH, and other regulatory agencies.
6) Ensure that patient and employee safety and confidentiality are maintained. Maintain confidentiality of sensitive business information, observe all health and safety requirements.
7) Adhere to all BH system and departmental compliance policies and any applicable laws and regulations
8) Is responsible for, applies, and models the Operating Principles in developing and maintaining a positive work environment.
1) 5+ years management experience in a anatomic pathology laboratory setting required.
1) None listed
1) Experience in management of complex, automated testing systems.
2) Experience and successful record of personnel management.
3) High level of skill in working with computerized systems and software.
4) Strong analytical skills and high level of knowledge in laboratory science.
5) Ability to oversee and support troubleshooting and investigation of quality and other performance issues.
6) Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
7) Must have demonstrated knowledge of laboratory science discipline: includes test theory, normal and abnormal findings, function of automated and computerized equipment in area, computer and software skills: Word and EXCEL, CoPATH.
You Belong At Baystate
At Baystate Health we know that treating one another with dignity and equity is what elevates respect for our patients and staff. It makes us not just an organization, but also a community where you belong. It is how we advance the care and enhance the lives of all people.
DIVERSE TEAMS. DIVERSE PATIENTS. DIVERSE LOCATIONS.
Bachelor of Science: Clinical Laboratory Science (Required), Master of Science: Clinical Laboratory Science
Laboratory Technician – American Society for Clinical Pathology
Equal Employment Opportunity Employer
Baystate Health is an Equal Opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, disability, or protected veteran status.
Baystate HealthSpringfield, MA